SMOOTH LINES FOR SMOOTH MOVES
The 2018 Equinox has undergone changes to improve on this classic rough water design. It takes its name from the change of seasons, which tends to bring strong winds to certain parts of the world. Downwind, this board is fast in moderate sized bumps (up to 3') and responsive. Upwind it’s comfortable in handling chop and makes the perfect racing board over waters which demand more of both paddler and board.
Rough water paddling demands a very different board shape. You need added volume and a very different approach to the designing of the nose area and a blend of semi-displacement and flatter planning areas. You want a board which can punch upwind and when turned downwind, will catch and chase bumps with ease.
Changes for 2018
- Lengthening of the foredeck cowling, moving it back to lessen the size of the void in the standing area.
- This lessens the amount of water that can enter the void.
- It also adds some extra buoyancy.
- We've added side exit scuppers (drains) as opposed to straight under exit points.
- The rear quarter rails have been hardened up a little, to provide more bite in larger bumps.
- The EVA non-slip has now been run straight to the rear with no space in the middle.
- Fin box set well forward to improve turning and responsiveness
- These micro-managment fixes make a great board even better!
Photo below: Steve West with the very first prototype.
14’ x 24.6" x 287 L x 11.25kg
14' x 26" x 320L x 11.75kg
Upper side front grab handle points
10” US Fin Box
Dual set of scuppers (drain holes)
Dual leashes (Front / back)
Find your nearest stockist / retailer
From the moment the Equinox was created we knew we had winner.
It's gone on to win many a great race including the Air France race in Tahiti and recenty in late 2017, on it's first use in the Downwind Dash Series in South Africa, finished just 2 seconds outside of the record time. Soon it will belong to the Equinox!
When the winds pick up and you want a board design which can cope with all the action of moving water, you want a design that works with the water around it, not against it. The board is designed to blend beautifully with the nuances of rougher waters. The added volume keeps you moving without stalling, the rounded nose keeps the ride smooth at all times and water run off is super smooth and clean. There’s no sharp edges, which means there are no nasty surprises, making the board highly predictable. Not just quick on rougher waters, it’s quick over flatter waters.
Downwind, this board is fast and responsive, willingly dropping in on the bumps, it's effortless effort as it rides and glides with ease.
Upwind it’s comfortable in handling chop and makes the perfect racing board over waters which demand more of both paddler and board.