Vortex to the Max
The Vortex shape has been proven to be quick and was an exercise in minimilisation. Low windage, low drag, low volume were all key factors in making it efficient, but where does this leave the heavier paddler, someone who is say over 85kg?
How and where to add volume was an interesting challenge and it was concluded that the side walls should be increased in height by a further 3cm compared to the regular Vortex. This does a number of things; notably, it keeps the deck-well area drier and increases the boards secondary buoyancy so as the 'righting moment' is more noticeable and more effective (the 'moment' at which the board meets resistance as it rolls, in this case as it rolls onto the flat side of the wall).
- Deck drainage has been improved, with the addition of another set of drainage holes and an increase in diameter.
- We moved the high spot of the nose cowling area to be further back and higher, leading to greater volume in the nose.
- Further to this, the tail was thickened marginally to keep the front to rear increase in depth, proportional, we then rounded up the width, to an even 24".
- Note, we only make stock production boards, no spooky team rider sizes or weights.
The nose shape was an interesting issue for us. We are convinced in trails that the sturgeon nose shape (dolphin nose if you like) works beautifully, even if it takes some getting used to.
For the 2016 11 Cities event, we made Steevie a board with a slightly squarer, more vertical nose, however subsequent to observing the boards performance in Holland and testing the board in Mauritius, we have concluded to opt for the same nose on the standard Vortex; it simply works better by keeping the nose in a downward trajectory, rather than lifting too early.
Key features: For flatter waters, long distance cruising or racing
VORTEX 'XL' 14’ x 24" x 269lts (60.69cm)
- Approx 10.7kgs Single Carbon + PVC foam core
- Grab handle
- 10” US Fin Box
- Dual set of scuppers (4 x drain holes)
- Dual leashes (Front / back)
- FCS deck insert
- Double to single concave
- Super quick and long glide
- Suprisingly stable